Naturally, it’s both frightening and painful to watch a loved one experience memory lapses, behavioral changes and the inevitable functional decline brought on by the onset of dementia. The Sun Health Memory Care Navigator Program is a comprehensive resource you can depend on to share knowledge about dementia and available community resources to share knowledge about dementia and available community resources. The Navigator helps minimize the stress of supporting a loved one with this chronic disease.
The program, offered at no charge, thanks to Sun Health Foundation, provides personal and professional guidance for patients, family members and caregivers coping with the emotional, psychological and physical effects of dementia. The Navigator prepares an individualized plan of care tailored to each patient’s needs and serves as a liaison between patients and families, their physicians, and ancillary community services.
What will my Navigator do?
The Memory Care Navigator program is a valuable resource to patients, family members and other caregivers. Specifically, the Navigator can:
- Assess the needs of a patient and family and provide confidential consultation
- Develop a personalized plan of care with the patient and family that addresses and supports the patient’s health and health-related needs
- Link patients and family members to education, support groups and assistive services in the West Valley
- Be an ongoing resource for families and caregivers as new challenges arise through different stages of dementia
- Educate patients and families about available local clinical trials that they may discuss with their physicians
- Collaborate with and communicate recommendations to each patient’s physician
- Refer patients to a Sun Health nurse care manager when necessary to help address multiple or chronic medical conditions, which are often complicated by the dementia
As a caregiver, what can I expect?
Sun Health’s Memory Care Navigator program realizes caregivers face a daunting commitment which can become taxing over time. We encourage all caregivers to focus on the four “A’s”:
- An Awareness that they can’t do it alone,
- Asking their physician for a referral to the Sun Health Memory Care Navigator,
- An Assessment of their situation by the Navigator, and
- An Action Plan created to meet their needs. This formal plan, developed together by the patient, family and Navigator, plays an essential role in addressing the daily challenges encountered while caring for a loved one with dementia.
Click here for some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about dementia.
For more information, please contact Sun Health’s Memory Care Navigator: Marty Finely, M.Ed., at firstname.lastname@example.org or (623) 832-9300.
About Sun Health
Sun Health is a nonprofit, community-based health organization focused on providing needed community health and wellness services for the West Valley, including programs that assist residents in enhancing their health and managing chronic disease. These services are funded in large part by charitable giving and grants through the Sun Health Foundation. Sun Health also operates three senior living communities: Grandview Terrace in Sun City West, La Loma Village in Litchfield Park and The Colonnade in Surprise and serves as a philanthropic partner for Boswell Banner Medical Center, Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, and Banner Sun Health Research Institute.