Tours, an interactive health fair, screenings, demonstrations, healthy snacks and special presentations featuring aging expert Dr. Roger Landry, author of Live Long, Die Short
Sun Health takes a giant step forward in its mission of championing healthy living with the grand opening of the Center for Health & Wellbeing. Its newest community health program, the Center for Health & Wellbeing is a nonprofit resource offering education and support for those who have been diagnosed with chronic heart and lung conditions, diabetes and pre-diabetes or memory impairment.
GRAND OPENING EVENT INFORMATION
- TIME: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- DATE: Wednesday, March 19
- PLACE: 14719 W. Grand Ave., which is across the street from Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, and adjacent to Sun Health’s corporate headquarters and The Colonnade, one of Sun Health’s three independent living communities.
Activities: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
West Valley residents are cordially invited to tour the 2,200-square-foot center and meet its staff of dedicated health professionals. The Center’s staff includes a registered dietitian, a nurse practitioner, an exercise physiologist, certified diabetes specialists, a dementia expert/counselor, and healing practitioners such as massage therapists and acupuncturists.
Following is a list of activities:
- Tours including short presentations from the Center team
- A health fair featuring several Sun Health services and partners such as Sun Health Senior Living, AARP, American Cancer Society, Alzheimer’s Association, Banner Sun Health Research Institute and other Banner entities, Arizona Living Well Institute, Benevilla, the ASH Line, City of Surprise Fire and Police Departments, American Lung Association and more.
- Screenings and demonstrations
- Healthy treats
Special presentations: Choice of 10 a.m. or 1 p.m.
Join successful aging expert and founder of nationally recognized Masterpiece Living Dr. Roger Landry at either 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. His informative presentation features content from his newest book: Live Long, Die Short, and opportunities to ask questions and participate in an on-site book signing.
REGISTRATION STRONGLY ENCOURAGED.
To ensure adequate seating and refreshments, RSVPs are strongly encouraged for both the event activities and special presentations with Dr. Landry. To register, please call 623-455-5741 or click on Events/Center for Health & Wellbeing to register.
ABOUT THE CENTER
Research shows the average patient spends only eight minutes with their doctor at each visit [New York Times report – May 2013.] The Center staff bridges the gap by providing resources to help participants plan their health and wellbeing goals, and encouraging their success along the way. Although the incidence of chronic disease among older adults is rising and impacting individuals’ quality of life, living with a chronic health condition does not have to be limiting. Center for Health & Wellbeing clients learn new strategies to manage and improve their health, while continuing to have a rich quality of life. The Center also can help with lifestyle modifications such as stress reduction, smoking cessation, nutrition changes and appropriate physical activity.
The Center includes a teaching kitchen, consultation rooms, a massage therapy suite and a community education room.
- Nutrition counseling
- Fitness evaluation and exercise plan development
- Medically supervised weight loss
- Stress reduction programs
- Medication review and education
- Support for memory impairment conditions
- Health education classes
- Smoking cessation resources and support
- Referrals to community resources
Clients also have access to Sun Health’s comprehensive community education program. Classes are facilitated by health care experts and are hosted at the Center.
Seminar topics include:
- Heart health and Senior fitness
- Living with memory loss
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Diabetes and pre-diabetes
- For a full list of classes and topics, visit www.sunhealth.org and click on Community Education at the top of the page.
- Call: 623-832-5350
- Visit: www.SunHealthWellbeing.org